Goals. We all have some, we all want to achieve them. Now that it’s the beginning of a new year, we see lists of goals everywhere… and I mean EVERYWHERE. But I don’t blame anyone. A new year feels like the perfect time to set some goals.
Thinking that you’ll definitely achieve them this year, you sit down at your desk, pen in hand or in between your teeth and start to write a long list of goals. However, at the end of the year you realize that you haven’t achieved anything on that list! You get sad… and you give up on your dreams. If only you could have achieved those goals! But, hey! Cheer up! It might be your lucky day, because I have some tips on how to achieve every single one of your goals! It’s simple actually. All you have to do is follow these next few steps.
- Make a list. Most people stop right at this step. They make a list and that’s it. But why you should make a list, though? How is that going to help you achieve those goals? Well, by writing them down you make the conscious decision of accomplishing something in a certain period of time. Now that your brain knows what your intentions are, it’ll help you in your journey. I recommend you buy a special notebook for your goals. The list should be written at the beginning of the notebook.
- Keep track of your progress. Every month, reread that list and jot down the progress made regarding every goal. In this way, you have a clear view of whether you’re going in the right direction or not. It will also motivate you to work harder.
- Think of the benefits brought by accomplishing those goals. The outcome is what we really want, so imagining how our life would be when and after we achieve our goals makes it easier for us to do that. Our brain will be flooded by the sensation of winning and power and it’ll get drunk on that, making us long for them and thus making us even more motivated.
- Stay focused. Keep distractions away! Distractions stop you from achieving your goals. They make you procrastinate and procrastination makes you lose desire of being successful. Notice what gets your attention away from your goals and try to find a solution for it. If your phone is the distraction, then download an app which can help you stay focused. There are plenty.
- Little is more. It’s better to work 20 minutes daily, than 5 hours once a week. Consistence is what helps you improve. And I can give you a personal example here. I am currently learning German. At first, I used to practice 2 hours of it during the weekend. Do you think I learned anything by using this method? No, I didn’t. Now I’m using the Duolingo app which consists of 15 minutes every day of practice. It has become so fun that I sometimes exceed those 15 minutes without noticing! Also, my German skills have improved drastically!
- Lastly, but not least… Stay chill. And by that I mean that you should relax once in a while. If you are continuously stressed about achieving your goals, well… you won’t. Stress is a very dangerous enemy when it comes to achieving your goals. Take a break when the pressure is too much to handle and then return with fresh forces. Keep your mind clear, because only a clear mind is able to guide and help you in this journey. Eat well, exercise, meditate, take a bath or a walk, spend time in nature.
Also, if you don’t manage to achieve your goals by the end of the year, it’s alright. What truly matters is to make progress towards achieving that particular goal.
I hope these little tips helped you and I look forward to hearing that you all are happy because you have achieved your goals with the help of at least one of these tips.