Yesterday, I turned 17. It feels so weird when I type this number… It is going to take me a long time till I get used to it.
This year, I wasn’t excited at all about my birthday; I didn’t even organize a birthday party cause I wasn’t in the mood for one. However, on the day before my birthday, I felt like all of the emotions that I was trying to ignore decided to make an appearance. I kinda had a breakdown, I started crying. I was just not believing that I was about to turn 17. Next year I’ll be 18 which means that I will officially be an adult and after two years, I finish high school. So, I started to feel anxious cause I still don’t know what I want to do with my life or what universities I should apply for… But I was also grateful for the fact that my life finally starts to be the way that I want.
After I calmed down I came to the conclusion that I should reflect on my past years and see what I’ve learned. I know it’s pretty cliché and cheesy and almost everyone does this kind of thing, but I really enjoy reading lists like these. And what a better way to celebrate my birthday on my blog than drawing a list like this up.
Therefore, here are 17 things I’ve learned by age 17.
- Change occurs. You cannot stop it. Embrace it, instead.
- A phone call draws the line between true friends and acquaintances.
- Nature heals every single wound, whether it’s physical or spiritual.
- Don’t desire. After you get what you lust for, you lose interest in it. Focus on the things that you need, appreciate and love.
- Being open to new things is the key to memorable adventures and experiences.
- Loneliness is cool. You’re not lame if you spend most of the time alone or if you do certain things alone.
- 2/10 middle school friends turn into high school friends (and maybe into lifetime friends)
- Sometimes, people want you to make the first move. They want to see if you really care about them.
- Don’t rush things. Everything comes at the right time.
- Cheeseburgers are not the only thing you can eat at McDonald’s.
- Thrift store clothes are bomb. You shouldn’t be ashamed to buy them. Most of them are good quality, unique and very fucking cheap.
- Having a boyfriend is not necessary. Do your thing. Alone.
- Body hair is something normal. Be cool with it.
- Girls can fucking swear if that’s what they want.
- Weird? Nah, mate. Authentic.
- You don’t have to be a doctor in order to have a succesful career.
- Loving yourself is the first step towards true happiness.
Well, all I can say is that I can’t wait to see what other things I’ll add to the list before I turn 18.
Have a lovely day, dear readers. Lots of love xx 🙂